Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Teaching 6th grade has probably been my favorite experience from 276. When we were put into groups and brainstorming with them I was slightly worried as my group had a ahrad time focusing on one idea. We were all so different with differing ideas and I wasn't sure it was going to work out. Turns out this probably helped us in the end. We did a great job teaching, the idea was fantastic and the 6th graders LOVED it. Having a hands on activity and a demonstration of the real trebuchet helped the kids understand the principles we were teaching them and was entertaining at the same time. The only problem I really noticed was with classroom management and control. It was hard to keep that many 11 year-olds calm and under control, which made it hard to teach them at times. I wasn't really surprised by this because in my mind that has always benn the thing about teaching that will be the hardest. I think that the key to classroom management is patience and somehow demanding respect in an appropriate manner. I am not sure how to achieve such goals and probably won't until I have some experience teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment