Thursday, December 10, 2009

Something I never really thought about until my first finals week in college was evaluation, or testing and seeing how well the material was taught. Did the students absorb anything and did they absorb it enough to be able to recall it or use it in their future life? For so long it was all about the passing the class for me, mostly while I was doing general education classes. I did not really care about knowing the material and retaining it any longer than was absolutely necessary, aka, finals week. Once I arrived in the major, however, and started taking classes and actually was interested in the things I was learning, I cared more about absorbing the knowledge for future use in my classroom. I think the important thing is to make the class material important to the students. If they are interested and can see uses for the information they will be learning then they are more likely to invest in the class and really learn the material. If the students actually internalize the information then they will do well on “hard” tests, such as the one that will be given for this class. Yes, it will be a challenging final, but I think it is fairly accurate in what it is testing. Also with evaluation, I think it is important to evaluate how you are doing as a teacher. If the teachers are not doing well on your test, why is that? Is it because of your teaching, or is there a different issue? If it is an issue with your teaching, what can you do to fix it, it improve upon your teaching skills to help the students better understand the material? Teachers need to understand that their teaching is not perfect and therefore they need to continually evaluate themselves and improve upon their teaching whenever they can. I think this will be the hardest part of teaching, that it will be easy to get stuck in a pattern of teaching and it will take some motivation to cause those changes to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment