Thursday, December 3, 2009

Our class lecture/discussion was very interesting today. I guess I just never really think about the technical parts of things so whenever someone brings them up I get super interested. I had never really thought about, and definitely never worried about, salary before. But it is something important and I am glad we discussed it. I also liked the discussion about private schools vs. public schools vs. charter schools. That is something else I had never really thought about and I am didn't even really think teaching at one of those other schools was an option. I had always had it in my mind that I was going to teach at a public school. Now I am rethinking that. I still have not decided how I feel about private schools, but I have a very different, and less negative, attitude towards them since our discussion in class today. I don't think teaching at a private school would be bad. It just seems like it would be a different, yet still beneficial experience. I also think it is a good option for people who truly are teaching for the sake of teaching. The pay is typically less than public school teachers receive so it seems like you would really have to want to be teaching to take a job like that. I wonder if I am that kind of person. Do i love teaching SO much that I am willing to take a pay decrease to teach at a school that maybe I agree with teaching styles and practices more than a public schools teaching styles and practices. Then at the same time I think maybe money doesn't matter as much to me since I don't plan on being the bread winner for my family anyway. Who knows. I love the discussions we have in 276 and wish we could have had more throughout the semester. This class has opened my eyes to learning how to be a teacher as well as helping me figure out what to expect and what to look for when I go out to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment